It’s been the longest of months, ironically, given that it is the shortest month. Honestly, though, it has felt as if it was 8 weeks long. Work has started to take its toll (so too has the winter, I feel) and I’ve had less time than ever to sew. That’s not to say I have not added a few pretties to my wardrobe and I started my YouTube channel so do check it out if you enjoy vlogs.
I started off on a project I was working on for the Craft Cotton Co. blog – so watch out for that as it should be coming soon. They kindly sent me some of their latest fabric design – the Simplicity ‘All Dressed Up’ ladies – to sew up a garment. Given the directional print I opted for a favourite of mine – the Sew Over It Marguerite Dress.
I then revisited a pattern I made back last summer; the Scout dress, a Patreon project from Gertie’s World. I loved this pattern the first time I made it and had been planning a floral version since last summer. I had to adapt the pattern a little as I didn’t have enough fabric for the full skirt of the pattern so I went with a gathered skirt instead; perfect for the office.
I revisited the Joan Wiggle dress, the pattern release from Gertie on Patreon in January which I finally got to make at the end of last month (and forgot to add to my sewing diary last month) – and within a week made a red and black houndstooth version. I’ll also include a picture of the stripe version which shows off the chevron effect built into the pattern.
I also gave in to the newest pattern from Tilly and the Buttons – TATB patterns are usually not on my radar but I can’t resist a cardigan. It’s such a lovely palette cleanser – and perfect for all levels of sewists. I made my version in a ponte roma from Jenny Stitches. I actually used up my ponte roma scraps from my Joan dresses to make a Pearl for wearing at home (the blacks are a bit different so it’s not a going out garment).
Another pattern I dug out of the pattern stash was one I made this time last year – the Chalk and Notch Fringe dress. I wanted a simple, every day pattern to sew up my William Morris strawberry thief print fabric (a ramie tencel blend I got from Pigeon Wishes). I did downsize as I felt there was a bit too much ease in the pattern for my liking – after all, I am used to vintage fitted silhouettes – which was a bit of a gamble but, since the pattern has a C/D bust drafted for, I got away with it.
The final pattern I took on this month was the Patina blouse – and this has spurred me on to start adding skirts to my me-made wardrobe next month. I gravitate to dresses rather than separates but I loved the collar of this pattern enough to give it a go; firstly, using a beautiful deadstock fabric from Missy Mop Fabrics.
Having made it, I decided to pull out a pretty fabric my wonderful sewing pal, Lisa, had sent me that was safely stored in my stash, to make another.
While sewing has taken a back seat this month, I love all the pieces I have created and they’re sure to get a lot of wear.